News & Events
- Ladies Lunch 2018
- St Gabriel’s Golf Classic
- Bon Secours Hospital Great Limerick Run
- Limerick Bar Association Visit
St. Gabriel’s Midwest Children’s Respite House Development
The Board of St. Gabriel’s has undertaken to build a purpose built six bedded children’s respite house in Mungret to cater specifically for children with disabilities who have complex medical needs and/or life limiting conditions.
St. Gabriel’s aim in developing the respite house is to ultimately support families in caring for their child at home by providing regular planned respite breaks.
There is a huge shortage of centre based overnight respite in the Mid-West area for all children with disabilities. However this is particularly noticeable for children with complex medical needs and/ or life limiting conditions who can avail of little or no respite outside their home due to their complex needs.
The respite house is situated on an attractive parkland site near Mungret with direct access by way of a rear gate to Mungret Park and the adjoining children’s playground which has adaptations made for children with disabilities.
Timeline and Facilities
The site was purchased by St. Gabriel’s Board in 2015. The building work commenced in 2017 and the building is due to be completed in August 2018
- The respite house will be completely wheelchair accessible with six bedrooms ensuite
- A large playroom with hoist and separate bathroom and entrance
- Piped oxygen and suction to the living and sleeping areas
- All rooms fitted with overhead host systems
- A clinical room and nursing area
- The building is being funded through funds from the JP McManus Golf Pro, grants, donations, local and community fundraising activities. It is hoped the HSE will come on board with funding to staff the house.